U.S. President Donald Trump says no U.S. casualties, Iran appears to be standing down

U.S. President Donald Trump says no U.S. casualties, Iran appears to be standing down


U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday there were no American casualties in the Iranian strikes on military bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq and that Tehran seemed to be backing away from further aggressive measures.

“No Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime. We suffered no casualties,” Trump said in a White House address. “Our great American forces are prepared for anything. Iran appears to be standing down.”

Speaking from the foyer of the White House, Trump announced that the U.S. will immediately put in place new sanctions “until Iran changes its behaviour.”

Those new “powerful sanctions” will remain until the country abandons its nuclear ambitions and ends its support for terrorism, he said. 

He defended his targeted killing last week of Maj.-Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force. He said that Americans should be “extremely grateful and happy” with the outcome.

Will ask NATO

Trump reiterated his position that “Iran will never be allowed to have a nuclear weapon” and called for new nuclear negotiations to replace the 2015 nuclear deal from which he withdrew the U.S.

Trump also said he would ask NATO to become more involved in the Middle East. That seems to indicate continued U.S. involvement in the region despite Trump’s desire to withdraw troops from what he calls “endless wars.”

At the same time, Trump said the United States is “ready to embrace peace with all who seek it.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *