Hong Kong condemns London attack on justice secretary as protests rumble on

Hong Kong condemns London attack on justice secretary as protests rumble on


The Chinese and Hong Kong governments condemned on Friday an attack by a “violent mob” on the city’s justice secretary in London, the first direct altercation between demonstrators and a government minister during months of often violent protests.’

Secretary for Justice Teresa Cheng, who was in London to promote Hong Kong as a dispute resolution and deal-making hub, was targeted by a group of protesters who shouted “murderer” and “shameful.”

A statement by the Hong Kong government said Cheng suffered “serious bodily harm” but gave no details. 

The Chinese Embassy in the U.K. said Cheng was pushed to the ground and sustained a hand injury.

Secretary of Justice Teresa Cheng, shown here in May, was targeted by a group of protesters who shouted “murderer” and “shameful.” (Kin Cheung/Associated Press)

“[Cheng] was besieged and attacked by dozens of anti-China and pro-independence activists,” the Chinese Embassy said in a statement. The incident showed that the “violent and lawless perpetrators” were now taking their violence abroad, it said.

China has lodged a formal complaint with Britain and urged British authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Escalating violence

Hong Kong’s leader, Carrie Lam, also strongly condemned the attack.

The former British colony’s government said in a separate statement: “The secretary denounces all forms of violence and radicalism depriving others’ legitimate rights in the pretext of pursuing their political ideals, which would never be in the interest of Hong Kong and any civilized society.”

The incident came amid escalating violence in Chinese-ruled Hong Kong, where a student protester died earlier this month after falling from a parking lot during demonstrations.

A man walks through bricks placed on a barricaded street outside The Hong Kong Polytechnic University on Friday. (Isaac Lawrence/AFP via Getty Images)

A 70-year-old street cleaner, who videos on social media showed had been hit in the head by a brick thrown by “masked rioters,” died on Thursday, authorities said.

Parts of Hong Kong paralyzed

The Food and Environmental Hygiene Department expressed profound sadness on Friday at the death of its cleaning worker and said it was providing assistance to his family.

Anti-government protesters paralyzed parts of Hong Kong for a fifth day on Friday, forcing schools to close and blocking some highways as students built barricades in university campuses and authorities struggled to tame the violence.

Protesters used barriers and other debris to block the Cross-Harbour Tunnel that links Hong Kong island to Kowloon district, leading to severe traffic congestion. The government once again urged employers to adopt flexible working arrangements amid the chaos.

The protests escalated in June over a now-scrapped extradition bill that would have allowed people to be sent to mainland China for trial. They have since evolved into calls for greater democracy, among other demands.

(CBC)

‘Revolution of our time’

Flash mobs again protested at lunch time in the heart of the financial hub and also in the eastern district of Tai Koo, where office workers wearing now-banned face masks chanted “Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our time.”

“Things that happened in these few months have made people heartbroken,” said a 31-year-old office assistant who gave her name as Nicole.

Protesters build a wall to block a road at Hong Kong Polytechnic University in Hong Kong. (Dale De La Rey/AFP/Getty Images)

“The government only came out to condemn rioters…. They have never thought why so many rioters have emerged in our city and why ordinary citizens support them,” she said.

Thousands of students remain hunkered down at several universities, surrounded by piles of food, bricks, petrol bombs, catapults and other homemade weapons.

Around 4,000 arrested

Police said the prestigious Chinese University had “become a manufacturing base for petrol bombs” and the students’ actions were “another step closer to terrorism.”

Around 4,000 people, aged between 12 and 83, have been arrested since the unrest escalated in June.

An anti-government protester holds a bow during a standoff with riot police at Chinese University of Hong Kong on Thursday. (Tyrone Siu/Reuters)

The demonstrations have paralyzed parts of the city and battered the retail and tourism sectors, with widespread disruptions across the financial centre and no end in sight to the violence and vandalism.

Video footage of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army garrison headquarters near Hong Kong’s central business district on Friday showed more than a dozen troops conducting what appeared to be anti-riot drills against fake protesters carrying black umbrellas.

China blames Western countries

The anti-government protests have taken a heavy toll and Hong Kong was expected to confirm on Friday it had fallen into recession for the first time in a decade amid concerns the economy could be in even worse shape than feared.

Alibaba Group chair Daniel Zhang, however, said Hong Kong’s future is “bright” as the e-commerce giant kicked off a retail campaign for its secondary listing in the city.

Many in Hong Kong are angry at what they see as China stifling freedoms guaranteed under the “one country, two systems” formula put in place when Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

China denies interfering in Hong Kong and has blamed Western countries, including Britain and the United States, for stirring up trouble.

A congressional advisory body urged the U.S. Congress on Thursday to enact legislation that would suspend the special economic status Hong Kong enjoys under U.S. law if China deploys security forces to crush the protests.

The Hong Kong administration reiterated that foreign governments should not interfere in the city’s internal affairs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *